UPDATE: Eminent Domain
The State Senate Committees on Judiciary and Hawaiian Affairs (JHW) and on Water, Land and Agriculture (WLA) are proposing a bill (SB 1561) that calls for the State of Hawaii to exercise its right of eminent domain to take control of Coco Palms Resort and turn it into a cultural education park.
To see the full text of Senate Bill 1561, please click HERE.
Coco-Palms.com is following this developing story closely and will post updates here as soon as they become available.
- 8/21/03 - Carried over to 2004 Regular Session.
- 2/12/03 - The votes in WLA were as follows: 4 Aye(s): Senator(s) Inouye, Espero, Aduja, English; Aye(s) with reservations: none ; 0 No(es): none; and 1 Excused: Senator(s) Whalen.
- 2/12/03 - The committee(s) on WLA recommend(s) that the measure be HELD.
- 2/11/03 - The votes in JHW were as follows: 7 Aye(s): Senator(s) Hanabusa, Chun Oakland, English, Fukunaga, Ihara, Kawamoto, Hogue; Aye(s) with reservations: none ; 0 No(es): none; and 0 Excused: none.
- 2/11/03 - The committee(s) on JHW recommend(s) that the measure be HELD.
- 2/9/03 - Bill put on hold as developer makes announcement of new plans. See the full stories ONE and TWO here.
- 2/6/03 - The Committee on WLA deferred the measure until 02-12-03 at 1:15 pm in Conference Room 224.
- 2/6/03 - The Committee on JHW deferred the measure until 02-11-03 at 9:00 am in Conference Room 229.
- 2/5/03 - Local media breaks story that Coco Palms may be turned into cultural park. See the full stories ONE and TWO here.
- 2/2/03 - Coco-Palms.com starts Online Opinion Poll
- 1/31/03 - Bill scheduled to be heard by WLA/JHW on 02-06-03 at 9:00 am in Conference Room 229.
- 1/28/03 - Bill referred to WLA/JHW, WAM.
- 1/24/03 - Bill introduced and passed first reading.
Online Opinion Poll: Cast your vote!
Do you think the State of Hawaii should exercise its right of eminent domain to take control of Coco Palms?
Cast your vote HERE in our online opinion poll!
This online poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those people who have chosen to participate. Your identity will be kept anonymous.